Sunday, June 19, 2011

Homemade Father's Day Gifts

First of all, Happy Father's Day to my own father! Thanks for everything Dad, especially all of the recent support. Also, a big Happy Daddy's Day to my husband who is such an amazingly fun, dedicated, giving father to Tyler. Ty seriously couldn't ask for a better Daddy, and I'm so lucky in that way as well! I am able to be a better mother because of how great he is as Ty's dad and all of the support he gives.

We tend to go pretty low-budget on these holidays, and I enjoy being a bit crafty, so this year I helped Ty create some very homemade gifts for his Daddy. I can't wait to see what he comes up with all on his own in the coming years!

I knew that I wanted to create a frame of Ty and Daddy photos for his office at work, and dreamed-up this popsicle stick photo collage. I was so happy with how it turned out! Don't mind the boxed-out faces on my husband; he is a recognizable person in many cities due to his job and I don't want his (or our family's) identity revealed. I've promised to never show his face here.


To create the collage, I took the needed amount of popsicle sticks and taped them together on one side. Tyler then painted the other side. With wood glue, I pieced together the frame, starting from the outside base.

After printing and arranging the photos, I then cut a piece of cardboard and glued the photos to it, then taped the cardboard and photos to the popsicle stick frame. I glued a piece of ribbon to the back to use for hanging. I love that this looks very much like something a little kid would make, but it is also sturdy and pleasant to look at. My husband really enjoyed this and the photos I selected of he and Ty.  


Ty also painted a masterpiece for his office using brushes and a sponge.

Afterwards, I decided the painting could use another color and mixed some green for Tyler to use. He decided to only paint a letter "T" for his name, looked at me as if to say "It's finished" and walked away. I love that he signed it!


We couldn't wait to give Daddy his presents this morning. Ty also made a card with crayons and stickers, and we gave him a bag of red Swedish Fish, one of his favorite treats. Happy Father's Day to a fabulous Daddy!

No comments:

Post a Comment